A Predictive Performance Analysis of Vitamin D Deficiency Using a Decision Tree model

Cite item


Background: VD is involved in various pathophysiological mechanisms in a plethora of diseases. And also, there is a strong demand for the prediction of its severity using different methods. The study aims to evaluate performance of DT as one of the machine learning models in the prediction of severity in VDD.  

Methods: In total, data containing serum Vitamin D levels were collected from 292 CHB patients. The independent characteristics such as: age, sex, weight, height, zinc, BMI, body fat, sunlight exposure, and milk consumption were used for prediction of VDD. 60% of them were allocated to a training dataset randomly. To evaluate the performance of decision-tree the remaining 40% were used as the testing dataset. The validation of the model was evaluated by ROC curve.

Results: The prevalence of vitaminD3 deficiency was high among patients (63.0%). The final experimentation results showed that DT Classifier achieves better accuracy of 96 % and outperforms well on training and testing Vitamin D dataset.

 Conclusion: We concluded that the serum level of Zn is an important associated risk factor for identifying cases with vitamin D deficiency. Also, the risk of VDD could be predicted with high accuracy using decision tree learning algorithm that could be used for antiviral therapy in CHB patients.



About the authors

F. Osmani

Infectious disease Research center, Birjand University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran

Author for correspondence.
Email: dr.osmani68@gmail.com
Iran, Islamic Republic of

Supplementary files

There are no supplementary files to display.

Copyright (c) 2021 Osmani F.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

СМИ зарегистрировано Федеральной службой по надзору в сфере связи, информационных технологий и массовых коммуникаций (Роскомнадзор).
Регистрационный номер и дата принятия решения о регистрации СМИ: серия ПИ № ФС 77 - 64788 от 02.02.2016.

This website uses cookies

You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website.

About Cookies